The seventeenth edition of LPM Live Performers Meeting is from 12nd to 14th May in the spaces of Tolhuistuin in Amsterdam.
LPM 2016 Amsterdam offers the unique opportunity to experience 3 days of audiovisual performances, VJing, workshops, panel discussion, product showcases presented by more than 300 VJs, audiovisual artists, new media professionals and thinkers from 40 countries all around the world.
Thanks to the contribution of the European Community, in the latest years the LPM project was brought aboard, to produce many foreign editions as in Xalapa (MX), Minsk (BY), Mexico City (MX), Cape Town (SA) and Eindhoven (NL) in addition to those heldRome (IT). Since 2004, we hosted more than 4600 artists, 2625 amongst performances, workshops and showcases, recording an overall amount of 72 participant countries and welcome more than 1.500.000.000 visitors.
Again, this XVII edition seeks to enhance the practice of live video performance, thanks to a rich and unpredictable program aimed at exploring different themes through new audiovisual languages, techniques and technologies.
The daily schedule will be loaded with many activities:Workshops, Lectures and conferences, Presentations of projects and products, AV Performances, Digital scenography, VJ-DJ Sets.
Vj, artists, designers, professionals and the audience will be involved in the manifold planned activities: from experimentalaudiovisual performances, architectural mapping shows, and VJ-DJ Sets to workshops, roundtables, and presentations of products and hardware, with a special regard for Free and Open Source projects. Meeting areas devoted to the interactionamong the hundreds of participants will be the corollary for the whole duration of the event.
LPM is designed as a place of dialogue, comparison and exchange of ideas and information between artists and fans in the field that are accustomed to meet, communicate and interact mostly in the virtual space of the network. A real meeting place, a space that fulfills an important opportunity for dialogue and exchange, LPM encourages research, experimentation, the encounter between different forms of artistic expression, the interaction of multiple techniques and digital technologies, analog, software and hardware.
LPM is an unmissable spectacle during which the audience has the chance to meet the world’s largest selection of artists active in the field of live video performances.
The XVII edition will be the first of a cicle which foresees the production of two more editions in the next wo years in the city of Amsterdam, and for the first time occured the need to fix a theme of the Meeting, in order to have a clear memory of it: Phisycal, as the nature elaborated by human.
To attend the meeting, participants must register by following the procedures in the “participate” section of the website, by choosing from several subscription options.
In order to give the opportunity to host as much performances as we can receive, the maximum duration of each show is 30 minutes. Registration is open until April 17, 2016.
Through our 12 years of experience, we were able to draw a conceptual map of the trends that have most influenced the creation of live video performances, and the program of this edition reflects and investigates these trends:
- Live Cinema: works performed exclusively live, capable of demonstrating a narrative and experimental approach; projects in continual tension between perceptive experience and performative act.
- Video Mapping: a technique of video-projection that can animate architectural volumes. The effect is spectacular and exciting, it confuses and seduces our perceptions through the dialogue among images and tridimensional surfaces.
- Digital Freedoms: activism and beauty, aesthetic database, data visualization of public or private data; these forms of artistic expression have been able over time to both inform and activate the consciences of people around the world.
- Visual gender: thanks to the critical tension among gender studies, queer theory and contemporary art, the vision of the body, the sexual identity is disconnected from the stereotype of LGBT and video language becomes an instrument of emancipation of the genre.
- Generative Visual: thanks to an encoding of the active and reactive world around us new digital biospheres offer to the public the experience of complex networks composed of simple sensory-bit binary codes.
- Stereoscopic 3D: stereoscopic vision allows three-dimensional display of standard video content for a complete perceptive immersion. Ad hoc software and technologies are used to manipulate the visual perception of space to create “augmented” worlds.
The Meeting aims to promote transnational movement and exchange of ideas, artworks and artists. All funds recovered by LPM are invested to support innovative research and experimentation in the field of live visuals with the latest technologies. LPM is part ofAVNODE, whose objective is to improve and promote the veejaying culture worldwide.
Realized in collaboration with international partners and co-organizers, the project includes a series of previews and promotional events focused on live video to be held inAustria, Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Turkey and United Kingdom, during the most important European festivals and cultural events.
LPM – Live Performers Meeting is part of the cooperation project LPM 2015 > 2018 co-funded by the Creative Europe culture programme of the European Union, involving 14 events a year for three years, carried out by 13 partners from 12 countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Czech, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Turkey and United Kingdom.
LPM is produced and organized by Flyer Communication, Dyne, Linux Club and FLxER.net.